Despite the winter season’s never-ending snowpocalypse, spring will be here before we know it. Winter is perfect for snuggling up, watching movies, and relaxing by the fire, but we all know that as the temperature decreases, so does our motivation to work out.
Walking to the gym sounds much less appealing when it’s fifteen degrees outside. Come early April, people will finally be able to get outside and exercise while enjoying the warmer spring weather. While the sunshine and flowers may motivate you to head outside and work, it might not have the same affect on your family.
Your kids may find the couch more appealing than a run around the block…sound familiar? If so, take a look at these springtime exercises to help get your couch potatoes out of the house:
- Take a walk. It’s a great way to get some fresh air after being cooped up all winter long, and can allow time for great conversation. Get bored just walking around your neighborhood? Visit the zoo instead!
- Go for a bike ride with your family, or have your children ride their bicycles alongside while you walk or jog.
- Give fitness-oriented gifts like bicycles, roller blades, or scooters to encourage outside play time.
- Head to the community pool to swim some laps while your kids splash and play in the shallow end– they won’t even realize they’re getting exercise.
- Sign up for creative outdoor activities to change up your every-day routine, such as rock climbing lessons.